Sunday, October 2, 2022

PARADISE VALLEY

C.J. Box. PARADISE VALLEY. Minotaur, 2017.

A gift from a friend, a first for me by this writer. I am first attracted to the setting--North Dakota, along the Missouri River, to Montana, and Yellowstone. All places that are familiar to me, and places I am happy to re-visit. Also attracted to the female lead--Callie, a sheriff after a trucker serial killer. The "office politics" and especially the way American law enforcement is impacted by electoral politics, is also familiar and frightening. Callie as a mother, and the extra concern she feels for two missing boys adds to the story which is basically plot. And I would also say, plot-driven. I would read more Box if it were to find me.



No comments:

COMFORT & JOY

Kristin Hannah. COMFORT & JOY. Ballantine, 2020/2005. A second book club selection. The title alludes to a Christmas carol but the prot...