Monday, November 28, 2022

SERVING LIFE 25: ONE GUARD'S STORY

Neil D. Maclean. SERVING LIFE 25: ONE GUARD'S STORY. TellWell Talent, 2017.

I borrowed this book on Saturday and I finished reading it this morning, Monday. This is indicative of how interested I was in the content. I have no experience working in a maximum security institution like the one described here, Kent, in CSC's Pacific Region. 

It is interesting. The writer's personality really comes through. He is not shy about offering his personal opinions. I have no problem accepting his POV as credible, and the inevitable sad conclusion that "the system" can best be described as one of "mutual contempt" among inmates, staff, and management, which, IMHO, means a failure of leadership.



However, as a former English teacher, every sentence I read was grating, and proof positive that excellent professional editors, for both copy and structure, are a necessary pre-requisite for any self-published book.

No comments:

COMFORT & JOY

Kristin Hannah. COMFORT & JOY. Ballantine, 2020/2005. A second book club selection. The title alludes to a Christmas carol but the prot...