Friday, June 21, 2024

RECITATIF

Morrison, Toni. RECITATIF. Knopf, 1983. Intro by Zadie Smith, 2022. 

A find at the library book sale. An experiment by Morrison to try to tell a story about two girls, Twyla and Roberta, without specifying which is Black. The intro includes Morrison's explication of fascism, the steps in erasing a people. 

I'm always surprised how the American experience of racism feels so different to our issues here in Canada. And how the Black struggle for equality in the USA has no reference whatsoever to Indigenous Americans. 

Although my one complaint is always against titles which have no meaning to the majority of readers or book buyers (almost seeming like a deliberate attempt to make people feel stupid) this book must make up part of my racism research library. 




No comments:

MIDDLESEX

Jeffrey Eugenides. MIDDLESEX . Vintage, 2002. This is a book club selection which I have given notice that I do not intend to read. I bought...