Saturday, August 17, 2024

The HOME for UNWANTED GIRLS

Joanna Goodman. The HOME for UNWANTED GIRLS. Harper, 2018.

Ladies Only Book Club pick. Not wild about the style which is too much telling and weak on matching POV and life experience. [words and images used which the POV character would not know of]  But the history and the emotions kept me hooked. The history of Quebec's funding orphanages run by nuns, and switching them over to asylums because the federal grants were greater. Unconscionable. And the lifetime, a whole generation, of mother and daughter longing for each other. And the damage done by loss of agency, hypocrisy, lies, forced labour, restricted access to the world, and abuse is heart-breaking. Maggie got pregnant at 15. Not sure who the father was as an uncle had raped her after her own father separated her from Gabriel, the love of her life. Elodie did not get adopted. 

Elodie = Melody without the M. I wish I knew that sooner as I had no idea how to pronounce the name.




No comments:

MIDDLESEX

Jeffrey Eugenides. MIDDLESEX . Vintage, 2002. This is a book club selection which I have given notice that I do not intend to read. I bought...