Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eternal Spring



Eternal Spring: My friend Jim Tallosi who worked for Manitoba Parks sends me eternal spring (Prairie crocus © JT). He also sent me this photo of the information kiosk in Birds Hill Provincial Park just northeast of Winnipeg (site of the famous Winnipeg Folk Festival). This panel honours Gabrielle Roy, the famous Franco-Manitoban writer, and points out the importance of her connection to this place. (See my The Tin Flute, November 2010) Roy's connection to Manitoba and her use of Manitoba settings (Where Nests the Water Hen, The Road Past Altamont, Street of Riches) are only two of the reasons why I want to read her novels. The main reason is of course the depth of her understanding of individual characters and the human condition.
Which prompts me to think about: how do I choose the books I want to read? Next . . .

No comments:

INDIGENOUS RELATIONS: INSIGHTS, TIPS & SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE RECONCILIATION A REALITY

Joseph, Bob with Joseph, Cynthia F. INDIGENOUS RELATIONS: INSIGHTS, TIPS & SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE RECONCILIATION A REALITY . Indigenous Rel...