Tuesday, September 27, 2022

THE IT GIRL

 Ruth Ware. THE IT GIRL. Simon & Shuster, 2022.

This is the first time I have read this writer. The book is a loaner from the friend of a friend. I have enjoyed it, starting with the settings. Edinburgh. And Oxford, which I know only from Morse and Lewis episodes. A man dies in prison still professing his innocence. The woman whose testimony put him in prison begins to wonder. She starts her own investigation, ten years after her college roommate was murdered. 

I love the way the writer deals out the bits of information and we follow the suspense as the protagonist Hannah Jones experiences it. I do not like when the story slips off the tracks into thriller-style where the tension is created by the way the writer is telling the story. Withholding and deliberately misleading the readers in an obvious attempt to manipulate our emotions. Which is why I like mysteries, crime and detective stories, but not thrillers.



No comments:

COMFORT & JOY

Kristin Hannah. COMFORT & JOY. Ballantine, 2020/2005. A second book club selection. The title alludes to a Christmas carol but the prot...