Saturday, October 7, 2023

OCTOBER MOURNING


Leslea Newman. OCTOBER MOURNING: A SONG for MATTHEW SHEPARD. Candlewick, 2012.

This book was gifted to me over one year ago but today, this month, it seemed to be calling. It is the exact same story three hundred years later. What happened to Matthew Shepard is the same thing that happens to Marie in DAUGHTERS of the DEER. Cruelty. And the origins of such violence from cruelty.

The poetry is very accessible. As I was reading I was thinking how well this would fit a high school English class. I read it aloud to myself. I never watched the movie. Too sad. 





No comments:

INDIGENOUS RELATIONS: INSIGHTS, TIPS & SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE RECONCILIATION A REALITY

Joseph, Bob with Joseph, Cynthia F. INDIGENOUS RELATIONS: INSIGHTS, TIPS & SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE RECONCILIATION A REALITY . Indigenous Rel...