Wednesday, September 7, 2022

THE HEMINGWAY BOOK CLUB OF KOSOVO

 Paula Huntley. The HEMINGWAY BOOK CLUB of KOSOVO. Putnum, 2003.

Very interesting, a joyful teaching experience in a war-ravaged city. Especially useful because I am so ignorant both of the geography of the area and of the war and NATO action, even though I know Canadian soldiers who were stationed there. 

As I was reading the commentary I thought: Did anyone ever criticize Hemingway for appropriating a Cuban character (The OLD MAN and the SEA).  But then I remembered Atwood's assertion: It's not the appropriation that is a problem. It is the mis-appropriation.



No comments:

COMFORT & JOY

Kristin Hannah. COMFORT & JOY. Ballantine, 2020/2005. A second book club selection. The title alludes to a Christmas carol but the prot...